Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Visit

My mother was here this past weekend.  She flew in Thursday night and left Monday morning, so just a quick stop.  She is both a knitter and a reader, so our first day "oot and a-boot" (Yooper slang for "out and about") involved another visit to The Salty Sheep and then down to Jacksonville for a stop at a bookstore.  She kindly enhanced both my stash and my library.
A closer look at the yarn?
This is Madelinetosh sock in "Mansfield's Garden Party."  I haven't knit with their sock yarn yet, and I'm interested to see how this knits up, especially with how many colors are in there.
Pinks, greens, and yellows.  This could be absolutely lovely.  Or not.  We'll see.  I just needed a little spring in my yarn.

We also toured Tryon Palace in New Bern.  The entire tour was interesting, but I fell in love with the Kitchen Office.  The kitchen house was separate from the main house, because the historical wealthy didn't really want to see where the magic happened, so to speak.  The kitchen house was more than just the kitchen; it was also where the seamstress worked.  There is a room set up with several looms, roving, a couple of wheels and spindles, and knitting in progress.  I wish I had pictures!  (The Historical Society does not allow taking photos and I couldn't find any online.)  It is amazing how little the tools of this craft have changed in the last three hundred years.

And since I often close with a picture of one of the Snufflepuffs, I give you a picture of my Frosty looking rather dejected.  You see, he had surgery on Friday afternoon.  Poor little guy blew out his ACL and was limping all week.  Now he is confined to his crate for the week to protect his leg.
You can see the incision on his hind leg.  Poor Frosty.
He is already so much better than he was just a few days ago.  He really wants to move around, but he tires so quickly.  Here's to a speedy recovery for the Doodlebug.

No comments:

Post a Comment