Thursday, August 16, 2012

At the beginning

Orientation for nursing school is this morning. I'm nervous as to how much time/effort this program is going to take. It is an accelerated program, and that I think is what is making me nervous.

When my sister started nursing school years ago, the director of the program told them at orientation to be ready to not have their house clean for the next two years. That the program would take up so much of their time that they wouldn't be have any room in their lives for anything else (especially not cleaning, apparently).

I understand the rationale behind that kind of rhetoric-- scare people into doing what needs to be done. But, and I say this before orientation, so I have no idea what to expect, what about positive thinking? More along the line of "Hey, this is a challenging program that will teach you to think in ways that have never occured to you. But we are here to help you and guide you and make sure you have the tools to succeed. What you do with those tools is up to you, but know that we are on the same side. We have the same goal: to make you a competent, successful nurse. So let's approach this with an open mind, knowing that there will be bumps along the way."

So, here I am, starting over.  Again. Breathe.....

No comments:

Post a Comment