Thursday, October 4, 2012

Getting into a groove

Whew!  Finally, a moment break from school and reading.  I am really trying to get into a groove with studying and reading (oh, my goodness, the reading).  I even had time to start a new project.
Yes, it is a Baktus.  It is very simple and will be lovely when I've finished with it.  Of course, I'm not the first.  As of now, there are over 7,000 of these on Ravelry.  I'm using Knit Picks and Noro Silk Garden Sock.  I have a love/hate relationship with Noro.  I love the colors and the long intervals between changes.  However, this is the first time I've used the Silk Garden Sock.  I don't think I would use this for socks.  There are lengths were the yarn is really really thin and others where there's a poofy-ness to the yarn.  I don't think it would wear well as socks.

It also twists like a beast.  It just seems to want to get up all over itself, and makes the striping a bit frustrating and slow.  The roughness of the Silk Garden makes it "catch" on the navy yarn.  I find myself constantly pulling the two yarns away from each other.  I've knit other stripey things, and I know the standard tricks to keep yarn behaving-- turning the needles the same way, bring the yarn up and over the previous yarn--but these are just not working together well.  I've decided to enjoy the process, though, and not worry about the product.  I don't need the scarf yet anyway.  It has been in the 80s here lately, with high humidity.  (Didn't anyone tell Mother Nature it is October?)

Of course, even though I haven't had enough time to actually knit much, I have shopped for yarn.  First, some Lorna's Laces Limited Edition.
This arrived today, which is appropriate considering last night was the (rather disappointing) debate.  The one on the left is "Independent" and the one on the right is "Blue State."  I'm solidly in the Blue State category, but I couldn't resist the Independent.  Green and Gold are Packer colors, and I'll probably make Mike a new pair of socks to wear with his Packer jersey.  Maybe he will get them for next season. 

And then there's this!
Watermelon sock yarn!  These will be so cute!  And look closer at the little bag in front.  See it?
A watermelon stitch marker!  Such an adorable little touch!  I can't wait to start these.  The cuteness will be overwhelming!  (Purchased on Etsy from KnitPurlGurl.)




No comments:

Post a Comment