Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First Attempt at Fair Isle

In about two weeks I head on up to New England for Squam Artist Workshop (SAW).  I signed up for this early in the year, maybe January or February.  I have signed up for three classes, two of which encourage color work.  At the time I signed up I had never tried fair isle but I thought, "Oh, I have months to figure this out.  I can totally do that."

Enter real life.  Two weeks out, and I've just started my first fair isle project.  It isn't easy, but it isn't terribly difficult, either.  I would say it is more awkward or cumbersome than difficult.  But I hate doing things I'm awkward at (which is the reason I've shied away from many physical activities, like dancing, unless I am either in my own living room alone, or among people who aren't looking at me, like in a club) so I have to power through and keep going.

There are moments when I really get into a groove.  That lasts about eight stitches.  Then I have to worry about a float, or look at the chart and yet somehow keep knitting.  But I think it looks pretty nice.


Looks pretty good, huh?  Especially for First Fair Isle.  I'm not sure if I've done the braid at the beginning correctly.


It looks pretty, and I'm proud of being able to make it look neat and even.  But I've never seen one up close and personal, so I'm not sure if it is supposed to have that purl bump in the middle of the braid.  (And on a side note, I really like how this picture turned out.  I'm learning some of the settings on my camera, and I love the close-up setting that gives the nice crispness in the foreground and the haziness in the background.)

No comments:

Post a Comment