Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Working through the To Do List

In an effort to plow through another item on my Spring Break To Do List (list item: start Hedgerow Mitts), I had to locate a pair of US 1 needles.  Since I couldn't find any (which doesn't mean that I don't have any US 1s free; it just means I can't find them [see list item: organize the stash {which was supposed to encompass the stash closet, and thus the needles}]) (Really, Karen?  Three different types of parantheticals?) I had to dig out the unfinished socks, which was actually a good thing, since another list item involved the UFOs.
And I found my favorite US 1 needles on the green socks.
The needles are the really nice Blue Sky Alpaca wooden needles.  I have a set of nine, because I broke one needle so I bought a complete new set.  I like to knit socks with five needles, so four wouldn't cut it for me.  And actually, I really like having the extra needles.  It makes picking up gusset stitches really easy.  I've started using the extra needles to pick up the stitches on both sides before I start knitting the round, since picking up stitches is almost my least favorite thing to do in knitting.  As of tonight, the second sock here is actually knit up to the beginning of the heel flap.  So progress. 

But I have US 1 needles on another pair, too.
These needles are metal, and longer than the Blue Sky.  I think the Blue Sky needles are five inches, and these are six.  This morning I was working on these socks (morning light means good time to work on dark blue yarn) and the needles felt almost too long.  The metal was really slippery, too, after using the nice grippy wood.  I think these are Hiya Hiya stainless steel needles, and really slick.  I got used to them right quick, but there was a momentary learning curve.  This sock is almost down the the heel flap.  

The purple and blue striped pair are on US 0 needles.
As you can see, there are two types of needles on this sock.  I started this sock on the Lantern Moon US 0 bamboo needles and snapped one needle right in half.  Jimmy Beans Wool replaced the one needle (quickly, too, and without question; great customer service!) but I found some metal Susan Bates one needles in the stash.  I still haven't worked on it since the new needle arrived, though.

The last pair is on US 1s, but on two circulars.
I'm through the heel flap on this one, which means that I am ready to turn the heel.  After that, we all know, comes the picking up of the stitches.  As much as I don't like picking up stitches, I really don't like picking up stitches for the gusset with a circular needle.  It is really fiddly and involves a lot of moving about stitches, and I just don't like it.  So these have been sitting at this point for over a year.

And yes, that is Deborah Norville yarn I'm using.  Glad you noticed.
I honestly didn't notice this until I started to photograph these socks.  But too funny.  I guess Vanna White shouldn't have all the fun!  (I bought this yarn from Hancock Fabrics about a year and a half ago, but I don't know anything else about this line.  I've never seen it anywhere else that I know of.)

Despite not finding some free needles to start the Hedgerow Mitts, I did get something accomplished on them.  I wound the yarn.
I consider that to be a start.  So at least I get to check that item off my list!  

It is so hard to capture the subtleties of hand painted yarn in a photo.  This is MadelineTosh sock in Pop Rocks, and it is about sixteen different shades of pink.  I can't wait to see this knit up.  I need something bright and cheerful to work on, and I think this fits the bill.  Hopefully the socks hogging my needles will be finished soon, and I get working on this happy color.

Now I'm off to watch Nashville and knit on my dark and stormy blue socks.  (Sort of fits with Nashville, don't you think?  Does anyone else watch this show?  I love it.  And I'm not a "country" music fan.  I do love, though, singer/songwriters with an interesting, folk-type style.  And I adore Scarlett on the show.  I'm hooked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment