Friday, November 30, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 23, the movies

I am thankful for movies.  What would I do without the movies?  Movies have to power to make us think, and cry, and laugh, and feel joy and pain and love.  How many times have I sobbed at the end of Terms of Endearment?  Oh, just about every time.  I still cheer when Andy Dufresne claws his way out of Shawshank Prison.  And I still think Jack could have found another piece of floating wood and saved himself, too.

I filter my world through movies (and books, let us not forget about books; but movies are a different experience than books.  Movies are often experienced with someone, whereas books are usually experienced alone.  You can share books, but it isn't the same as movies.  At a movie, you share the exact same movie in the exact same moment in time.  The same rude person talking up front.  The same audience laughing or not at the same parts.)  For every experience I have, I can usually think of a movie quote or scene that matches up.  Weird?  Maybe.  But I married a guy who gets it.  He is just as likely to throw out a movie quote as I am.  And, of course, we have our favorites and our inside jokes.

We saw Lincoln this past weekend.  Go.  Go this weekend.  Cancel your plans and go see this movie.  This movie is why I continue to go to the movies-- in the hopes that someone will create magic like this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment