Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving: Day 3, Farm Fresh Eggs

The Incredible Edible Egg.  We eat a lot of eggs at our house, and I insisted those eggs be organic and hopefully free-range.  (Let's not talk about how "free-range" is not regulated and could mean a different thing to every large scale chicken farmer.)  I had a lot of criteria for buying eggs from the grocery store.  I preferred eggs in cardboard containers, and never bought them in Styrofoam.  Plastic, well I tried not buy but sometimes it was unavoidable.  Eggs were becoming difficult.

Which is why I was so excited to find Fothergill Farms through a friend of mine.  Three dollars for a dozen FARM FRESH eggs.  Literally from a farm about twenty miles from my house.  In fact, Mike drives withing miles of the farm on the way to work.  These are the definition of Local Food.  Not delivered in a semi truck, but in a silver Buick.  Once, they were even warm, since Karen Fothergill had grabbed them on her way to see me.  Oh my goodness!  Definitely free range, too.  If you visit the farm, you need to drive really slow so you don't hit a chicken crossing the road.  Seriously.
See the blue one?  I love when I get a blue egg in my order.
They are the tastiest, eggiest eggs I have ever eaten.  The yolks are so yellow, and they are almost creamy.  I truly forgot eggs tasted this good.  (I used to buy farm fresh eggs when I lived in Petoskey, Michigan fifteen years ago.  They were a dollar a dozen, and not many people were buying them then.  Just the vegetarian hippies, like me and my friends.)

So today I am thankful for Karen Fothergill and her husband Tony, and the delicious eggs that her family farm provides to my family.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment